Some Hawaii Fun Facts
Need to learn about some interesting Hawaii fun facts? If so, please read on. Hawaii is a very small state in the country. It also has very little land mass when one compares it to other countries in the world. Despite that, the Hawaiian Islands is a worldwide leader in an amazingly large number of areas. Furthermore, it stands unique from other states in the US. The Aloha State’s leadership and uniqueness in such areas constitute our list of Hawaii fun facts.
Areas of Hawaii’s Worldwide Leadership
- Being nearly 2,400 miles from the nearest continental land mass, Hawaii has the most remote population on earth.
- Spanning over 1,500 miles, the Hawaiian Islands is the world’s longest island chain.
- Hawaii’s Kilauea is the most active volcano in the world and has been continually erupting for the over 30 years.
- Mauna Kea on the Big Island of Hawaii is the world’s tallest mountain when measured from its base on the ocean floor at 33,476 feet.
- Haleakalā on Maui is the world’s largest dormant volcano, forming more than 75% of the island.
- Kilauea Iki on the Big Island of Hawaii is the world’s most active volcano.
- Mauna Loa on the Big Island of Hawaii, by volume, is the world’s most massive volcano.
- Molokai’s north shore has the world’s tallest sea cliffs measuring more than 3,000 feet high.
- Mauna Kea on Big Island of Hawaii houses the world’s biggest telescope.
- The Big Island of Hawaii leads the world in harvesting macadamia nuts and orchids.
Areas of Hawaii’s Uniqueness Compared to Other States
- Hawaii is the only state in the country that grows coffee, cocoa and vanilla beans.
- Ka Lae or South Point on the Big Island, is the southernmost point in the United States.
- Covering over 1,500 miles, Hawaii is the widest state in the United States.
- Hawaii is the only state in the nation with its own time zone, Hawaiian Standard Time.
- Hawaii is the only state in the nation with a tropical rain forest.
- Iolani Palace on the island of Oahu is the only royal palace in the country.
- Hawaii is the only state comprised entirely of islands.
- Unlike other states, Caucasians are a minority in Hawaii. In fact, every race and ethnicity is a minority in Hawaii.
- Hawaii is the only state that honors a king when it celebrates every June 11 as King Kamehameha Day.